Saturday, February 19, 2005

A PIECE OF THOUGHT


Surprisingly I am getting on closer terms with Bernard, something which I didn't expect at all. I didn't expect that we can become good friends..haha..life is so unpredictable.....You gain something unknowingly but u inevitably lose something which is important.....What a joke! I guess our friendship strengthened after the argument yesterday. I shall illustrate it before I forget :

Initally he wanted the url to the online textbook, however, I was clueless. So he wanted the title of the txtbook which he copied in the afternoon over msn. I didn't want to give it to him as I thought he could refer to what he had copied. However, on the account that he was my consultant for my FYP questions, I rummaged through my notes and type the title on msn.

Half an hour later, Huizhen told me that Simon will be printing the recommended textbook for her. As she wasn't sure of the title, I wanted to check it out online cos I realized that Simon printed for me as well. In addition, it suddenly occurred to me that I should check out the contents of the online textbook since I would be borrowing from Huizhen to zap. So I asked Bernard for the url as I figured that he probably found it.

He got agitated and insisted that I was very rude and I didnt respect him. Instead, I should have been more polite. I was indignant. To cut the story short, we were defensive for a period and after a while, I tried to confirm my suspicions that he was furious.

Bernard: "You are not worth it"....

I didnt know that these 5 words can be so powerful...I shall bear them in mind for future use...Haha....At that point, I was stunned momentarily...I responded by telling him how I felt towards the statement.

Celeste: "I was stunned at what u said. It leads me to realize how you value our friendship. You have achieved the impact and purpose that u wanted."

Bernard: "I don't wish to lose a good friend like you. I wish to take back what I have said if possible. What can I do to make it up?"

I was silent for a long while as I was not convinced....Eventually, my non grudge bearing nature caused me to forgive him. Subsequently, I gained a free apology meal out of the blue cos he offered to treat..HAHA..However, the essence is not about gaining a free meal!

This incident shows that being polite is a form of respect to a friend, even if u treat him as a close friend.....I really wonder if it is practiced widely....cos asofar, my close friends and I are not political polite to one another....

No comments: