Thursday, June 14, 2012

A wet weekend in Brighton

After a disappointingly wet Diamond Jubilee weekend, hubs and I thought we would be able to enjoy some nice weather in Brighton. However, the weather truly let us down and you will understand why in a moment.

The Brighton weekend getaway was planned way in advance. It all started with hubs wanting to participate in the naked bike ride annual event held there and we chanced upon a 2 night KGB hotel deal and consequently, we hopped on a train at London Victoria on a Friday evening and reached Brighton in an hour. Upon alighting from the train at Brighton rail station, we were met by strong chilly winds, the kind that messed up your hair endlessly, penetrated straight through your toughest leather jacket to send a chill down your spine and forced you to use extra energy to walk forward. Despite the unfriendly welcome, we made our way to our "4 star" hotel, an unpleasant 20 mins walk.

The hotel was nothing like a "4 star hotel" : it had the tinniest and dimmest toilet! The towels provided left fibre all over our body. And in our room, you can hear all sort of rowdy noises coming from outside. Despite all the unpleasantness, we had a good sleep because we were dead tired from the work week!

To our surprise, the next morning started of extremely well! We had fabulous English breakfast at the hotel and with our stomaches full, we headed to the town centre and settled down at the park by the Brighton Pavilion. There was plenty of sunshine and I was happily entertained by the street guitarist doling out beautiful music and the attention seeking sea gulls who were luring us to chase after them! I felt so contented taking in all the lovely sights and sounds.

After our stint in the park, we decided to check out the vintage festival at the race course. It was great experience! I saw old telephones dated back to 1950s, fashion apparels in the 60s, vintage cars, and old day crockery, those you saw in the movies starring Elisabeth Taylor. I realised that lace sewn dresses were a big thing in the past and coincidentally, it seemed to be trendy now too, which made me wonder if fashion worked in cycles. The crowd attending the vintage festival came dressed in 60s costumes, definitely setting the atmosphere.

The afternoon was spent in gaiety strolling along the Brighton beach, from the Marina to the pier, with some side tracking in between. And I can't believe our good luck - we chanced upon a English street party! I was extremely excited to be part of the British culture - mingling with the crowd streaming from all junctions, enjoying street food with the accompaniment of delightful band music! What an awesome way to spend Saturday afternoon!

The evening was another highlight. I watched the much anticipated match of the week: Germany Vs Portugal and the was delighted that the former team won!

Sunday afternoon was all gloom and doom! Despite the chilling wind and the sleepy sun hiding behind the looming clouds, we went ahead to participate in the annual naked bike ride event. The turnout was expected not that fantastic, probably due to the poor weather; given a choice, I would also have pulled out. The crowd who came prepared their lovely bodies for the event - there were catchy slogans and beautiful paint works decorating the participants bodies and bicycles, quite an eye candy!

Halfway through the ride, the rain lashed down heavily on our backs. Shitty weather aside, I was really amazed by the participants who came naked and persevere throughout the ride, never seeking solace in windbreaker or scarf, albeit the adverse weather conditions. At the start of the ride, I felt embarrassed cycling with a wind breaker on, however, the chilling wind and rain soon left me no room for any doubt. Fortunately, the route was much shorter than that of London's and we were able to seek shelter relatively soon. By the end of the ride, the rain subsided. However, my husband's folly prevented us from getting our deserved shelter and warm. Despite the threatening weather ahead, he insisted on going to the Bristol Garden naturalist spa and consequently, we were totally drenched in the rain when returning our bicycles after the spa. I so preferred last year's naked bike ride held in London as the weather was so much friendlier and that Boris Johnson bikes were so readily available!

Despite the poor progress of the day, it ended well; the day was saved by sumptuous Sichuan seafood dishes, the freshest and cheapest in the whole of UK as far as I am aware! And we are backed in London!

No comments: