Sunday, August 06, 2006

I hate the feeling of being ill. It disrupts my life. I have to cancel my specs collection plan on thurs,tennis plans on friday and california gym plans on sat. Instead, all these were replaced by going to NUH for blood test on Thursday, homebounded on Friday and repeating the blood test on Saturday.

Come to think of it, it is so scary to go A&E with fever. First and foremost, you have to wear a mask at the entrance. Next, you are led to the "Fever" unit where everyone that passes you, wears a mask. Of course, the masks of the medical team are more powerful than yours for the obvious reasons. Upon entering the fever department, the nurse will decide if you should be placed in the high risk or low risk room. These 2 rooms are adjacent to each other, theoretical speaking, there is not much difference, except that "high risk" is printed in red while "low risk" is printed in blue.

I am given a choice to go on the bed or just rest on the armchair. I chose the latter as I hope to leave asap. Well, that was a naive thought as the inefficiencies of the medical team render it impossible. After having sat there for 10 minutes, my BP was taken by a nurse. Following another 20 minutes, my blood was drawn for test. She could have taken the blood after she did my BP. By this time, with the new influx of patients, the so called low risk room does not seem so anymore. Another 30 minutes passed before the doctor came to me. He told me that I seem all right, but I had to wait for my blood test results. I was like a little school gal, waiting anxiously for the report card. If only the blood test can be done earlier, the wait could have been shorten.

Finally when everything was out, I was told that I can be discharged, but I have to repeat the blood test in 2 days time. I enquired further only to incur the impatient reply of the doctor in charge. He told me that fever was virus caused and the blood count is low. He did not explain why I need the additional blood test. Such rudeness is so uncalled for. The patient should know what is wrong with her.

The mystery was finally revealed when I visited the doctor on Saturday for the blood test. My WBC was low => virus infection. Virus infection can't be treated with antibiotics, thus I wondered why I was given antibiotics by NUH A/E. Fever will be intermittent till the virus is combatted by my immune system.

Anyway, in conclusion, I hate the irresponsible people who has a hidden agenda behind supporting QHSE.

No comments: